Turkey Breast on Beet Apple Relish
(Oxygen Magazine – December 2010)
16 oz of cooked turkey breast (4 servings)
1 tea bag (black or green)
1 bunch of fresh beets and greens, rinsed & diced
1 medium apple, diced
1 tablespoon diced red onion
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
4 teaspoons flaxseed oil
1/8 teaspoon each of cinnamon & nutmeg
1. Cut turkey into four 4-ounce pieces
2. Heat 1 cup of water and the tea bag in a large skillet. Remove tea bag when water boils.
3. Add beets and steam for 10 minutes. Remove beets and place them in a bowl in the freezer to cool.
4. Add beet greens to hot water and steam for 1 minute. Remove greens and also place in a bowl in the freezer to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Braise the turkey in the same hot liquid for about 3 minutes, or until heated (if turkey breast is raw, cook for about 10 minutes, or until no longer pink inside). Add more water as needed.
6. Remove beets from freezer and place into a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. When turkey is cooked, remove from skillet and slice thinly.
8. Place beet greens on a plate and top with relish then turkey.
Makes 4 servings.
262 calories – 8g. total fat (2g. saturated fat, 0g trans fat), 90mg cholesterol, 648g sodium, 24g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 21g protein, 2mg iron.
Add a baked sweet potato topped with non-fat greek yogurt for more heart healthy benefits.